1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. In a large saucepan heat the oil and melt the butter. Stir in the celery, onion, carrot, garlic and rosemary. Add the lamb bones and sauté 5 to 8 minutes, until the bones and vegetables have browned. Pour off excess fat.
3. Add the half cup of vinegar to the bones and vegetables and cook down until the vinegar just coats the bottom of the pan with a thin film.
4. Add the wine and tomatoes and simmer slowly about 30 minutes.
5. While the sauce is simmering, season the racks of lamb with salt and pepper, place in a roasting pan and roast 20 to 25 minutes for medium-rare to rare. Remove the racks from the oven and let rest 10 minutes.
6. Force the sauce mixture through a fine sieve. Season with salt and pepper, and add the remaining tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Place in a small saucepan to reheat.
7. Carve the racks and serve with the warm sauce. Garnish each portion with a sprig of rosemary.
Yield: 4 servings.
Return to Sheep's Creek Farm Lamb Recipes page.
© 1998 Ronald Florence Last modified: Sat Jan 31 21:24:39 EST 1998